I Missed You.
(This is part of my â€œEntertainment During a Time of Coronavirusâ€ Newsletter series, which you can sign up for here.)
The sometimes unhinged, sometimes sublime Instagram Live updates Heloise from Christine and the Queens does daily at middayâ€¦
The man I can see from my window who plays soccer with his son in their teeny-tiny yard every morningâ€¦
The home-baked treats Shellâ€™s Loft likes to make and deliver to my doorâ€¦
The wonders of digital technology and the hottest app in town, Zoomâ€¦
The wacky stories of people whoâ€™re trying to spread a little of their own positivity in the world, like this guy who ran a marathon on his balconyâ€¦
Iâ€™m making a point to keep gratitude and joy as close companions during this time, even as fear and anxiety donâ€™t seem to want to leave my side! Choosing to be positive and upbeat doesnâ€™t mean ignoring what is happening. It would be remiss of me not to pay tribute to two titans of the entertainment world weâ€™ve just lost â€” playwright Terrence McNally and Cameroonian jazz legend Manu Dibango. Both due to complications from Covid-19. I want this little note from me to you to be a one of joy, and I will aim to keep it so, but I also want to acknowledge the myriad of thoughts and feelings all happening at the same time. Weâ€™re all just doing the best we can, right? Music helps, so letâ€™s get into todayâ€™s list of URL events, which happens to be very music-heavy:
1. D.Nice is hosting another one of his deluxe house parties, this time, geared towards voter registration, with special guest Michelle Obama. The party starts at 6:30pm EST, so set your watches. While D spins, volunteers across the country will text eligible voters to help them register to vote. Party with a purpose – yes!
2. Lisa Loeb gave us the perfect #quarantune in Stay (I Missed You), even if she was decades before her time. Today sheâ€™s going live on YouTube at 11am PST, 2pm EST, 8pm CAT, for a kids-themed live stream with songs and activity ideas. Later in the day, H.E.R. will go live on Instagram at 2pm PST, 5pm EST, for Global Citizen’s #TogetherAtHome series. Jennifer Hudson, who plays Aretha Franklin in the upcoming biopic, will perform a bit of a salute to Aretha, at 1pm PST, 4pm EST and 10pm CAT.
3. Get your diamond-encrusted sunglasses out – itâ€™s Elton Johnâ€™s birthday today. In honour of his 73rd birthday, Morrison Hotel Gallery will showcase photographs of Sir Elton in SIR: A Retrospective of Rock Royalty, their first ever virtual exhibit.
4. British comic Mo the Comedian is hosting #QuarantineGames live at 9pm GMT, 5pm EST, on his IG. After his Netflix release and Bafta nom, Mo was meant to embark on a world tour this year, so heâ€™s staying nimble with these games, which may or may not involve real prizes.
5. For the classic movie fans among us, TCM will be turning their annual Hollywood-based film festival into a â€œspecial home editionâ€ event. Itâ€™s not happening today â€” and will take place on the same dates as the original festival was meant to happen, April 16 to 19 â€” but itâ€™s good to get it down on the calendar now, as something to look forward to. Thereâ€™ll be feature film screenings, as well as special interviews and segments from the last 10 years of the event.