If you have Spotify, you can hear my Best Tracks of 2011, aka The Tunes That Helped Me Get Through a Challenging but Amazing Year here.
If not, here is the list below, in no particular order. I hope this playlist gives you the same relief, joy and comfort that it did for me this past year. If so, feel free to share your favourites too.
1. Cough Syrup – Young The Giant
2. Unconsolable – Ambassadors
3. No Rest – Dry the River
4. MoneyGrabber – Fitz & the Tantrums
5. Young Blood – The Naked & Famous
6. I Stand Alone – Theophilus London
7. Holocene – Bon Iver
8. Do I Wait – Ryan Adams
9. No Church in the Wild – Watch the Throne
10. Someone Like You – Adele
11. The Wilhelm Scream – James Blake
12. Fair Warning – Penguin Prison
13. Titanium – David Guetta featuring Sia
14. Whirring – The Joy Formidable
15. Somebody That I Used To Know – Gotye
16. Headlong into the Abyss – We Are Augustines
17. This is Why We Fight – The Decemberists
18. We Found Love – Rihanna featuring Calvin Harris
19. Take Care – Drake featuring Rihanna
20. Shake It Out – Florence & the Machine (The Weeknd remix)
And my favourite album – the sublime Diamond Mine from Jon Hopkins and King Creosote, which can be streamed here.
Oh, and best gigs of the year? Again, in no order of any sort – go!
10. Brandon Flowers at Hammerstein Ballroom (this one was actually in Dec ’10, but it was too good to leave out!)
In the words of Florence Welch: it’s hard to dance with a devil on your back, so shake him off, and enjoy 2012!