* The new trailer for the second installment of The Hobbit has been released into the internet ether, much to the delight of those fans who’d been keeping an event clock counting down to the moment. The second part of Peter Jackson’s adaptation of JRR Tolkien’s fantasy story The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug features a first-look at Benedict Cumberbatch as Smaug. Looking forward to “seeing” more of the British actor come December!
* Jackie Chan is searching for a director for his latest project. Not a movie, but a stage adaptation of his best-selling memoir, I am Jackie Chan. At a press conference in NYC on Tuesday, Chan said it will be a musical (a genre he is very fond of) and it will feature his voice as the narrator of his life. The story will focus on the international movie icon’s early days with the children’s acrobatics group Seven Little Fortunes.
* Ahead of his new album release, Kanye West told the New York Times he’s the “Michael Jordan of music.” After the Jesus comparison and his forthcoming I Am God song that seems pretty tame. Nonetheless, the album, Yeezus drops next week and features the likes of Daft Punk, Chief Keef and Bon Ivers Justin Vernon.
* Ringo Starr is writing a children’s book inspired by a song he wrote 45 years ago, Octopus’s Garden. Due out in January 2014, the book will be accompanied by a CD that will include a previously unheard song and a reading of the story. Ringo’s also just released an e-book with previously unseen pics of The Beatles called Photograph.
* Black Sabbath held a Google Hangout after releasing 13 on Tuesday – their first album with Ozzy Osbourne since Never Say Die! in 1978. Who would have thought they’d ever see rock’s heaviest hitters convening in a virtual Town Hall?