* The Great Gatsby opens in the US today, before making its European entrance next week at the Cannes Film Festival, as the opening film. The reviews are varied, but enjoy this piece from the NY Times on Baz Luhrmann’s Anatomy of a Scene. And excuse me while I imagine Cannes in the ’20s…
* Chris Kelly – aka Mac Daddy of the ’90s rap duo Kris Kross, who died last week, has been laid to rest in his home town of Atlanta, Georgia. His “partner in rhyme” Chris Smith, gave a eulogy for the rapper, who was found “unresponsive” at his home on May 1. A toxicology report is still being done to determine the cause of his death, but it’s believed drugs were involved.
* He was patriarch of the brand known for its zigzag-patterned knitwear, and Ottavio Missoni died Thursday at his home in Sumirago, Italy, at the age of 92. His death comes 4 months after the mysterious disappearance of his son, Vittorio, whose plane went missing after taking off in the Caribbean.
* Prince Harry kicked off his 8-day visit to the US on Thursday. The last time HRH was in the States, his antics in Las Vegas made the front pages. This time around, however, he’s here in his official capacity as ambassador for his grandmother, the Queen. Fully clothed.
* Kanye West in Anchorman 2? Apparently so! He was spotted filming in Atlanta yesterday. The producers seem to be doing a good job keeping the plot details of the film a secret, but we do know the names Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Harrison Ford, Kristin Wiig, Will Smith and Nicole Kidman are also in the credits.