* I’m bummed not to be in San Diego forÂ Comic ConÂ this year, but still keeping an eye on the news (and best costumes) coming out of the fan-fest. This year’s event has kicked off with footage shown fromÂ DivergentÂ andÂ Ender’s Game. Looking so forward to seeing South African born-director Gavin Hood’s (Tsotsi) latest project.
* In case you missed my gazillion tweets about it, Thursday was Nelson Mandela‘s 95th Birthday. Best wishes came in from all over the world for the biggest celebrity of them all, and he was also lauded at a special meeting at the UN.
* Coincidently (I think not, haha!), the trailer for Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom was released last night. We get to see more of Idris Elba – and most importantly, hear more of his Madiba accent. He really looks like he nailed an authentic portrayal of the former statesman, although we’ll have to wait until the end of the year to see for sure.
* This year’s Emmy nominees are celebrating their nods, Â and as many pundits have pointed out, the crop points to a new path in the TV landscape – one where the most exciting stuff around comes from non-big-networks and made-for-streaming-series can pick up major nominations. American Horror StoryÂ leads the pack with 17, Game of Thrones with 16, and the Liberace biopic Behind the Candelabra has 15.Â Â Â
* In a scene eerily reminiscent of days gone by, the Durban International Film Festival wasn’t able to screen its opening film, Of Good Report, because it’s been banned. The festival, which is fast becoming South Africa’s top film showcase, has begun its ten day run.