* Ryan Adams is preparing to release his new album – his 14th to date – with a slew of tour dates and a music video for the single Gimme Something Good. The video for the first single of the self-titled upcoming record, features Mistress of the Dark herself, Elvira, who haunts Adams with unpleasant dreams. Spotify has also given us another new track to listen to, My Wrecking Ball, from the man who just produced Jenny Lewis’ lauded new album, The Voyager.
* Michael Jackson‘s record company released the music video for “new” single, A Place With No Name, on Twitter on Wednesday night – heralding it as the first music video to ever be debuted via the social media site. It’s directed by Samuel Bayer, whose music video repertoire includes Nirvana’s Smells Like Teen Spirit and Green Day’s Boulevard of Broken Dreams. There’s something just a little eery about watching old footage of a younger MJ dancing, spliced together with scenes of a man and a woman meeting in the desert and then themselves beginning to dance. Turns out the footage of MJ was shot for In The Closet, and had been kept in a vault since 1992.
* A fabulously-mustachioed Johnny Depp will soon be seen on the big screen as a debonair art dealer named Charlie Mortdecai, created from the novels by Kyril Bonfiglioli. The trailer for Mortdecai looks like the comedy could be a lot of fun as it traces the protagonist’s quest to recover a stolen painting rumoured to contain the code to a lost bank account filled with Nazi gold. It’s out early next year.
* There have been some beautiful images of screen siren Lauren Bacall, who died on Tuesday at the age of 89, being shared as people pay tribute to her life. And some beautiful words too, like these from THR‘s Scott Feinberg.
* Kongos, the South African-born group of Greek guys who have jumped into the American spotlight with their single, Come With Me, are making new plans after their support slot on the Kings of Leon tour was put on hold. KoL’s drummer Nathan Followill is recovering from a broken ribs injury after a car accident on the weekend. Meanwhile, Questlove became an honorary member of the Followill clan when he filled in for Nathan during the band’s Wednesday night slot on Jimmy Fallon.