* It’s the sequel to the hugely successful and very funny remake – 22 Jump Street releases in the US today.Â Directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller have brought back the Channing Tatum/Jonah Hill bromance, and by most accounts, it’s still fun, if not as funny as the first one. Meanwhile John Turturro’s directorial debut, a film in which he wrote the very likely scenario of Sharon Stone and Sofia Vergara having to pay his character for sex -aka Fading Gigolo -Â releases in South Africa today.Â
* Tributes have been aplenty forÂ Ruby Dee,Â the award-winning actressÂ and Â civil rights-upholding activist, whoÂ died at the age of 91 – peacefully, according to those who were withÂ her, at her home in upstate New York. She has left a rich legacy behind, forever stitchedÂ intoÂ the cultural fabric of American society.
* In some really cool casting news, Tom Hiddleston, aka Loki from The Avengers, will play Country and Western iconÂ Hank Williams in a biopic called I Saw the Light. The British actor is so good at impressions, there’s no doubt he’ll be good at this one, even though it will require more than just imitating the legendary singer. The producers have secured the rights to Williams catalogue so Hiddleston will be singing too.
* Kelly Rowland made a song, The Game, and Spike Lee made a joint to go along with it, Pixote’s Game – part of the Pepsi Beats of the Beautiful Game for the World Cup. It’s track is pulsating and uplifting, the story sweet and as inspiring as this whole football affair can be.
* And in today’s Star Wars news,Â Harrison Ford is said to have broken his foot while filming on Thursday. According to Disney, he is recovering and the injury Han Solo sustained won’t affect shooting. Thank goodness for that, right?