* “Yo Adrian!” Rocky is heading to Broadway. After a successful debut in Germany (as Rocky: Das Musical – love it!), Sylvester Stallone and the writer behind productions like The Producers and Hairspray are aiming to bring the show based on the 1976 Oscar-winning film to NYC early next year. No word yet on who might play Rocky – think Bobby Cannavale is too old?
* According to The Hollywood Reporter, Jamie Foxx is in talks to play Oscar-nominated Quevenzhane Wallis’ adopted dad in the Annie movie remake. His character will be based on the Daddy Warbucks one, but updated for our time, and with the name Benjamin Stacks (it’s always about the Benjamins…), in the film which counts Jay-Z and Will Smith as producers.
* In two pieces of Beastie Boys news, Mike D and Ad Rock are set to write a memoir about the seminal hip hop group, due for release in 2015. Their publisher says it’ll trace the band’s trajectory from a New York high school punk band through to their induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and the death of Adam Yauch, aka MCA. Meanwhile, after much petitioning, Palmetto Playground in Brooklyn where Adam used to hang out as a kid will be renamed in his honour.
* Guillermo Del Toro’s upcoming sci-fi action flick Pacific Rim is one of the summer’s big blockbusters that looks worth its weight in hype. The sneak peak that was shown at WonderCon last month has been released online, and it’s a thrilling reason why a film should be made in 3D!
* The nominees for this year’s Tony Awards have been announced. Kinky Boots has the most nominations (13), followed by Matilda (12). The late Nora Ephron’s Lucky Guy, which stars Tom Hanks, earned a Best Play nod, as well as a Best Actor for the Oscar-winning star too. But, alas, no Bette Midler for her turn as Hollywood agent Sue Mengers. The awards are on the 9th of June.