* Social media has been a lovely place filled with warm tributes to author and activist Maya Angelou, and quotes of the words she gave the world. The poet died at her home in North Carolina on Wednesday at the age of 86, after suffering from heart problems.
* Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt did a 3-in-1 premiere, travelling from London to Paris to New York in one day, to promote the Edge of Tomorrow.Â The unprecedented publicity stunt precedes the big question when the film releases this Friday, as to whether Cruise can launch a new big blockbuster. From the reviews and word-of-mouth I’ve heard so far, the answer may just be a positive one.
* Tori Amos has released the music video for her new singleÂ Troubleâ€™s Lament,Â off her latest albumÂ Unrepentant Geraldines,Â in which she lends a helping hand to the man down below.
* Coldplay entered the Billboard Hot 200 chart at number one, with the release of their latest album Ghost Stories. The numbers aren’t as high as they have been for the band’s previous releases in the first week, but they’re respectable enough, especially since half the sales were earned from digital downloads.
* And Dr Dre‘s Beats has sold to Apple in that company’s biggest deal – a cool $3 billion. Dre and his fellow Beats co-founder Jimmy Iovine will also joinÂ Apple as part of the agreement. Does this mean we’ll be seeing a mash-up of the Beats and Apple headphone design – or will they go with just the Beats…? Beyond that, it’ll be interesting to see where Apple is going with this move – buying a music company instead of expanding its own products.