Hello from New York, where it’s so cold already, I feel as if I have lost all feeling in my heart. Oh, what a coincidence…
* Maleficent, the movie about how the Sleeping Beauty villain came to be, only releases in May next year, but Disney thought it would be fun to tease us with a new Maleficent poster. At least we have a trailer for the film, starring Angelina Jolie and Sharlto Copley, to look forward to later today.
* While we were keeping tabs on the Jeff Koons auction, another art sale went on to break records as the most expensive piece ever auctioned, according to Christie’s. Francis Bacon‘s Three Studies of Lucian Freud sold for over$142 mill on Tuesday, after six minutes of bidding. Koons’ Balloon Dog also broke a record, fetching $58.4 million, the most paid for a piece of art by a living artist at an auction.
* Mariah Carey is streaming her long-awaited new single, The Art of Letting Go, on her Facebook page, and to promote it, she surprised some super-fans on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon on Tuesday. It’s always fun to watch someone be starstruck.
* New Zealand’s Lorde, who just turned all of 17 the other day, performed at Live on Letterman last night. You can watch the full show here.
* Long before there was Lorde, there was Stevie Nicks. The singer will guest-star on American Horror Story: Coven, as announced by the show’s creator, big-time Stevie fan Ryan Murphy, after he created a character who was obsessed with her music.