* While some of us were interviewing one of Chicago’s most famous residents, others were in the city itself, enjoying the 3-day feast of music at Lollapalooza. An estimated 300 000 people attendedÂ this year’s fest – where the likes of The Cure, Nine Inch Nails, Kendrick Lamar, Phoenix and The Killers headlined. 130 bands over 8 stages – that’s still one I need to check off on my bucket-list.
* A new Doctor Who has been “regenerated.”Â Scottish actor Peter CapaldiÂ is the oldest actor to play the Time Lord since the first Doctor in 1963. How apt for him to take over from the youngest actor to play the role, Matt Smith.
* 2 GunsÂ topped the US box office this pastÂ weekend.Â The pairing of Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg, with their great bantering, works both on-screen and off.
* The talented multi-tasker that he is, Joss WhedonÂ has revealed that he’ll be keeping a close eye on his newest creation, the upcoming TV seriesÂ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D,Â even if he’s not able to direct any episodes after the initial pilot. Whedon, who’ll soon start filming Avengers 2,Â also wrote the episode, which apparently picks up, in a way, where The Avengers left off.
* The Book ThiefÂ director Brian Percival has given us the first look at French Canadian actress 12-year-oldÂ Sophie NÃ©lisse in the central role of Liesel Meminger. The movie, which also stars Geoffrey Rush and Emily Watson releases in November.