* It’s sad that it’s come to this: Lauryn Hill has started her time behind bars for tax evasion. The Grammy-winning singer, and mother of 6, began a 3-month stint in a Connecticut federal prison on Monday for failing to pay almost $2 million in taxes.
* It’s a hard video to watch, but Yasiin Bey, more well known as Mos Def, demonstrates what it’s like to be force-fed, according to ‘standard procedure’ at Guantanamo Bay. The socially-conscious and politically-minded emcee teamed up with UK-based human rights group Reprieve and Bafta award-winning director Asif Kapadia to produce the video, which has got everyone talking.
* Things have been good for the District 9 camp. Neill Blomkamp‘s follow-up ElysiumÂ comes out next month, and he and Sharlto Copley are already well onto their next adventures. Blomkamp apparently has his eye on Dev Patel for his Â film, Chappie. Copley on the other hand – well, there’s no stopping him: Oldboy, Europa Report, Open Grave and Maleficent are all in different stages of release, but helping to keep his star rising.
* Reviews for The World’s End are out. The British film – the last in the trilogy by Edgar Wright, Nick Frost and Simon Pegg celebrating that nation’s brand of humour – was screened in the UK on Monday, leading to positive reviews and more Cornetto jokes.
* Hillary Clinton has opened an exhibition of Oscar de la Renta‘s work – the designer who created her pantsuit outfitÂ when she was sworn in as a senator.Â De la Renta’s on a role – last month he picked up Council of Fashion Designers of Americaâ€™s highest honor, which was presented to him by Clinton too.