Oh, yeah, “Happy Halloween”
* James Blake picked up Britain’s Mercury Music Prize in London last night, for his album Overgrown, and even though radio host Laura Laverne incorrectly intro’ed his performance as ‘James Blunt’, she got it right when announcing he’d won the prize, over the likes of David Bowie and Laura Mvula.
* 30 Seconds to Mars released their newest music video, a tribute to Los Angeles directed by Jared Leto, featuring a host of the band’s famous and still-not-quite-there friends talking about what the City of Angels means to them, for the song of the same name. Oh, but those LA sunsets are gorgeous.
* Â It was a matter of time before this happened -Â Marvin Gaye‘s family has sued Robin Thicke and Pharrell Williams for copyright infringement over their hit song Blurred Lines. In August, as a way to try preempt this, Thicke and Williams created a claim where they asked a court to rule their song did not infringe onÂ Gaye’s copyright. Three of Gaye’s children say elements of the songÂ Got To Give It Up were copied.
* If you caught the VH1 made-for-TV-movie about TLC, you’ll have seen this coming too. Former manager Perri ‘Pebbles’ Reid has released a statement on how the film portrays her role in the group’s misfortunes.
* It’s been exactly 20 years since River Phoenix died of a drug overdose at the age of 23. Wow.