* Cue the flying high metaphors – Gravity has smashed all kinds of records for its opening weekend. Alfonso Cuaron‘s 3D space epic debuted to over $55 million in North America, making it the top October opening of all time and the best three-day showing for stars Sandra Bullock and George Clooney. As if you needed any more reason to go see it…
* Miley Cyrus proved she can laugh at herself, even as others do, when she hosted SNL this past Saturday, with among other things a parody of Michelle Bachman and the federal government shutdown – They Did Stop.
* Banksy continues his month-long residency on the streets of NYC with an installation of a moving waterfall inside a truck. If you spot it, drop us a tweet, would ya?
* It was a fantastical movie, and now a production of Big Fish has opened on Broadway, starring two-time Tony award winner Norbert Leo Butz as Edward Bloom, to somewhat disappointing reviews.
* Ben Stiller unveiled his 5th directorial feature, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, at the NY Film Festival this past weekend. It divided audiences – some had hoped for a deeper resonance, but I found it to be a visual treat with gorgeous music and a story to just take in, nothing more, nothing less. The film releases in the US on Christmas and in South Africa during January.