Hello from NYC, where I experienced the joy of being tweeted at by Orange is the New Black’s “Crazy Eyes” Uzo Aduba last night, after I realized I saw her at the NYC Marathon start line.
Onto today’s entertainment news worth knowing...
* The Country Music Awards took place on Wednesday night, and Taylor Swift looked so sweetly delighted, as she always does when receiving an award, to be honoured by a whole bunch of artists she used to open up for and now more than likely outsells all of them. But she lost out on the Entertainer of the Year statue, which went to long-time “King of Country” George Strait.
* The Blockbuster video chain is closing its remaining stores and shutting down its DVD-by-mail business. I guess it was bound to happy, but it’s still a bummer.
* Marvel is debuting a new superhero – a 16-year-old Muslim-American girl named Kamala Khan, in a move aimed to reflect the growing diversity of its readers. Khan will be the new Ms Marvel, who lives with her conservative Pakistani parents and brother in New Jersey. Expect to start reading about her adventures early next year.
* There’ll be more American Horror Story to come – the series has been renewed for a fourth season, with Glee’s Ryan Murphy, aka ‘master television producer,’ back as producer.
* If you haven’t read it yet, Laurie Anderson wrote about her relationship with Lou Reed for Rolling Stone. RIP Lou.
As we head closer to Halloween, one of the outfits I end up seeing most on the streets of New York is that of Captain America, with his trademark shield and face mask fending off witches and zombies that appear oh-so coincidently around this time. The timing is, therefore, great that Marvel this week revealed online the poster and the trailer for the upcoming Captain America The Winter Soldier.
The official plotline of Captain America: The Winter Soldier we’re told is that Cap, aka Steve Rogers, teams up with Black Widow, to battle ‘a powerful yet shadowy enemy in present-day Washington, D.C.’
“Gear up, it’s time,” our hero, played once again by Chris Evans tells Anthony Mackie’s S.H.I.E.L.D agent Sam Wilson in this trailer. Well, it’s almost time. In April 2014 we’ll get to see Chris in his slick new costume – which I’m liking a LOT – alongside Scarlet Johansson’ Black Widow, Samuel L Jackson’s Nick Fury, and Mr Suave Robert Redford as a S.H.I.E.L.D head honcho.
For now, I’ll have to make do with the mini-Captains running around the streets.