*Michael Jackson’s iconic album, Thriller was released on this day in the year of my birth, 1982 – and so celebrates its 30th anniversary today, changing modern music the way we know it.
* The coming of age drama, Otelo Burning premiered in New York this week, and now the award-winning movie begins a 2-week run here.
* Dave Matthews is dedicating his concert tonight to Superstorm Sandy relief efforts, after already donating $1 million to the cause. What a good guy!
* New artists continue to be added to the star-studded 12-12-12 concert, which is also going to raise money for those affected by Sandy. Seems the NBC telethon hosted after the wake of the storm was only just a smattering of what musicians can do.
* The Hobbit debuted in New Zealand this week – to the delight of the tens of thousands of fans that reportedly gathered in Wellington for the premiere, which featured a flyover from Air New Zealand’s Hobbit-themed aeroplane.
* The Amazing Spiderman swung into the box-office, with a solid $140 million over its first six days, signalling a thumbs-up to Andrew Garfield as the new Spidey.
* Academy award-winning actor Ernest Borgnine, who notched up six decades of work in film, TV and Broadway, has died at the age of 95.
* Usher’s 11-year-old stepson is reported to be brain dead after a jet-ski accident in Atlanta this weekend.
* Dave Matthews previewed new song The Riff at a recent show in upstate NY.
* Just in case we forgot how talented Alan Cumming is, he’s decided to remind us by playing every major role in Macbeth, which is coming to a close in New York.
* Beyonce and Jay-Z both snapped up honours at the BET Awards, while South African singer Lira lost out on Best International Act to Ghanaian rapper Sarkodie and Nigeria’s Wizkid.
* After Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes announced they were divorcing, reports like this one by Princess Di biographer Andrew Morton, have suggested Scientology played a big part in the break-up.
* Gotye, contrary to a CNN report, is not dead.
* Dave Matthews has a new song out! It’s off the forthcoming album, Away From the World, due out in September.
* Filming on the sequel to the Spud movie began on Sunday. Author John van der Ruit is tweeting from the set of Spud: The Madness Continues.
* In case you missed it, Adele announced she and boyfriend Simon Konecki are expecting their first child.