Hello – good news out of London, and well, terrific news out for Madonna…
* There have been reports about it this whole week but now it’s been confirmed! A Monty Python reunion show is taking place on July 1st in London next year. The remaining cast members John Cleese, Michael Palin, Terry Jones, Terry Gilliam and Eric Idle held a press conference to announce the news. When asked if they would they return to America, Idle answered, “Only if they are still open by then.”
* Oprah, as ‘one of the world’s most successful broadcasters,’ has been given the Presidential Medal of Freedom, along with the likes of Bill Clinton and country singer Loretta Lynn, 50 years after the death of the award’s founder, President John F. Kennedy.
* Madonna topped Forbes’ list of highest-paid musicians for the past year. No surprise really, coming off the tail end of her wildly successful MDNA tour, which was the biggest tour of 2012 (oh, just a measly $305 million). Her earnings then, Forbes calculates, hover around the $125 million mark. Lady Gaga and Bon Jovi make it to second and third – because of their tours too.
* In the US literature arena, the National Book Awards honoured James McBride with the fiction prize for his novel The Good Lord Bird, and George Packer’s The Unwinding: An Inner History of the New America won the non-fiction category. Perhaps we’ll see McBride’s book turned into a movie next?
* A proposed It’s a Wonderful Life sequel in the works may be stopped in its tracks by the studio Paramount, which owns the rights to Frank Capra’s 1946 Christmas classic.