Hello, hello, hello 2014! May it be a wonderful, adventure-filled, star-studded one!
* Sadly, the year started on a sad note. I lost a school-friend in a car accident, and the entertainment world lost two stalwarts – one of them, the lovable ‘Uncle Phil’, James Avery, who became Will Smith’s father figure in The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, and also the voice of Shredder in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (among his many other TV roles). The cause of his death at 68 has been reported as complications following heart surgery.
* Just shy of turning 100, pioneering actress Juanita Moore, who was nominated for an Oscar for 1959’s Imitation of Life, died, after collapsing at her home in LA. She has been listed as the fifth black person to receive an Oscar nomination.
* While we were all out celebrating the arrival of a new year, a new trailer for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 arrived too. Unveiled during the famous ball drop in Times Square, the clip showed Spidey preparing to take on his nemesis Electro (a ‘sparkling’ Jamie Foxx). The film’s due out in May.
* The new season of Britain’s Sherlock series, starring the ever-wonderful Benedict Cumberbatch drew in over 9 million viewers – who all tuned in to see how the detective survived a death-defying fall.
* Jerry Seinfeld‘s unconventional yet insightful talk-show, Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee kicks off its third season today. Coffee. Comedy. Cars. What’s not to like?