It’s the day before the Toronto International Film Festival kicks off, so just a quick dip into the entertainment stories worth knowing today.
* Robert Pattinson, who was named a face of Dior in December, is showing just how Dior-like he can be in the video titled The Film for the fashion house’s new fragrance. Unlike his other films, this one is only 1 minute long, but it’s Robert at his moody best.
* Mercedes Benz NY Fashion Week officially begins tomorrow, but several designers have chosen to present today. Among the highlights is sure to be Rebeca Minkoff’s show on Friday, which will feature models working the runway to a performance by Grammy-nominated singer Janelle Monae.
* The BFI London Film Festival has announced its lineup for this year, starting with Tom Hanks in Captain Phillips, which also opens the NYFF. Mr Hanks will also close the fest, with Disney’s Saving Mr Banks, which will make its European premiere there. The Festival, to be held next month, will screen over 230 fiction and documentary features among its slate.
* Moby roped in The Flaming Lips’ frontman Wayne Coyne for his new track, The Perfect Life, and the ensuing video is a everybody-hold-hands delight. His new album, Innocents, comes out at the end of the month, and is just one of a bunch of new titles to look forward to this season.
* Life will end for True Blood, HBO has said, next year, after the 7th season of the hit show based on the books by Charlaine Harris. Show runner Brian Buckner has promised to do ‘our very best to bring Sookie’s story to a close with heart, imagination and, of course, fun.’