* It’s heeeere! Guardians of the Galaxy earned so much pre-opening buzz and box office mojo that the filmmakers announced at Comic Con last week it would be getting a sequel, before it even screened at cinemas. The film opens in the US, and the rest of the world today, so this weekend should be spent in the Marvel Expanded Universe – with Peter Quill, aka Star-Lord (Chris Pratt), Groot (Vin Diesel), Raccoon (Bradley Cooper), Gamora (Zoe Saldana) and Drax the Destroyer (Dave Batista).
* Lollapalooza hits Chicago this weekend. Headliners Eminem, Outkast and Arctic Monkeys will play alongside the likes of Phantogram, Bleachers, Chrvches and those South African-born rockers Kongos.
* Kendrick Lamar will present a short film inspired by his debut album good kid, m.A.A.d city as part of the first Sundance NEXT Fest, which has been created to showcase budding directors and artists at the Ace Hotel in Downtown Los Angeles. Made by The 14-minute film was made by Khalil Joseph who won acclaim for his 2012 collaboration with Flying Lotus, Until the Quiet Comes. The rapper has also, according to reports, been working on new music for a follow-up to his debut.
* Lorde has a new task ahead of her – curating the soundtrack to The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 movie, plus coming up with a song for the lead single off the album. Should keep the 17-year-old Grammy winner busy for the next few weeks.
* And in case you missed it, the trailer for Alejandro Iñárritu’s Birdman will leave you excitedly awaiting the opening night of the New York Film Festival, when the movie premieres. Michael Keaton looks like he’s nailed it as a washed-up actor, who once played a superhero, trying to make his comeback through a Broadway play. The music, the imagery, the white underpants – bring on October!