Hello! I went to a Q-and-A with Zelda La Grange, who was the late Nelson Mandela’s longest-serving personal assistant, at Barnes & Noble last night, and have just kicked off reading her memoir, Good Morning, Mr Mandela.
* Zoe Saldana, Glenn Close, Bradley Cooper, Vin Diesel and Chris Pratt, who the Daily Beast calls ‘Han Solo for the Facebook Generation’, came out for the world premiere of Guardians of the Galaxy in LA on Monday night. Reviews of the film have been embargoed until it releases in a few weeks, but so far the buzz seems to be good – and that’s great news for Chris Star-is-Rising Pratt.
* Jake Gyllenhaal just wants a job. In a clip for Nightcrawler, his newest movie, the actor, much thinner than we’ve seen him before, he comes across as steely but desperate, in the crime thriller that is also the directorial debut of one of the screenwriters of the Bourne series, Dan Gilroy. I’m intrigued.
* The New York Film Festival revealed that it will be closing the 52nd edition of the annual event with Alejandro González Iñárritu’s Birdman starring Michael Keaton. Between that, opening with Gone Girl, and featuring Paul Thomas Anderson’s Inherent Vice, the fest is shaping up to be a solid one.
* Chuck Palaniuk’s Fight Club 2 is due to be released in April next year, as a 10-issue comic-book mini-series. In an interview on USA Today, the author says it’ll take place before and after the time of the first Fight Club, and it seems there’s going to be a surprise revelation about Tyler Durden (played by Brad Pitt in David Fincher’s movie).
* Robert Downey Jr has once again topped Forbes’ list of highest paid actors. The magazine estimates he earned $75 million between June last year and this year. That’s the same amount they estimated that put him at the top of the list last year. Iron Man – the gift that keeps on giving! Dwayne Johnson comes in at number two, then Bradley Cooper, followed by Leonardo DiCaprio and Chris Hemsworth.