Hello! Team USA put on a valiant effort at the World Cup, but it was not to be. A little Nile Rodgers should help ease the pain…
* One can never get enough Bill Murray, especially when he’s playing curmudgeon characters at the centre of a story. After supporting roles in The Grand Budapest Hotel and The Monuments Men, he returns to the lead role in St Vincent, in which he plays neighbour to Melissa McCarthy’s character and her son (cute newcomer Jaeden Lieberher). In the trailer for the film, which is due out in October, we see Murray offer to babysit as a way to earn a little extra money. It looks like the kind of life-lesson movie I don’t mind sitting through – with the added bonus of a pregnant and Russian Naomi Watts.
* Sia‘s album 1000 Forms of Fear is streaming on iTunes ahead of its release next week. The album opens with the anthemic Chandelier, and includes the kind of ballads the Australian singer has become known for.
* Meanwhile, this summer jam, Do What You Want to Do, from Nile Rodgers is full of disco delight. The track was recorded in Ibiza last year, according to Rolling Stone, and auctioned off to raise money for the musician’s We Are Family Foundation. Good cause, good track, good summer!
* Google bought Songza, but didn’t pay nearly as much as the $3 billion that Apple paid for Beats. The future of the mix tape is here.
* Neil Gaiman‘s urban fantasy novel American Gods will be made into a TV series, thanks to Starz, after hitting a few snags at HBO. The team behind it seems to please the British author immensely, so it sounds like this may be a winning combination to provide the next big TV series hit.